It has not been precisely determined when the church was built. There is written information in sidžil (court document) from 1539-40 where it is evident that the church had been built by that time. It was damaged by fires, which, during that time, severely harmed the city. Today's appearance, the church got in the first half of the 18th century. The Baroque bell towe was replaced by a straight-line bell tower, designed by architects A. Derok and D. Smiljanić in the first half of the 20th century.
Within the church complex is an inn, a museum wit an impressive collection of icons, paintings, books and scripts, works of goldsmiths and profusely decorated clothes for prayer.
Shells fired from Serb held posts during the siege of Sarajevo, between 1992-1995, severely damaged the church.
VRML model [.wrl 5,9 MB]